FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Dec 29, 2010

you know it!

It's time for some Film Club choosening...so let's do it.

Way back during yon SHOCKtober time, three of you magical people listed a film from yon 1989 time called La Chiesa, or The Church. I'd never heard of it, but seeing it was directed by Michele Soavi, written by Dario Argento, and starred Asia Argento got me all "Hmm, yes." about it. Fast forward to yon now time and that shit is gonna be the first Film Club film of 2011. Can I get a "that shit is gonna be the first Film Club film of 2011" up in here?

It's on Netflix instant, so that's pretty easy for those of you loathe to touch media. I'm still very much "Hmm, yes." about it, and I'm interested to see a film that three of you list among your 20 favorites.



The movie: The Church (La Chiesa) (1989)
The due date: Monday, January 17
What you do:
  1. Review the movie on your site. Add a link to Final Girl in there somewhere. If you've reviewed the film before, that's fine- but you must retrofit your review with a link to FG to be included in my round-up.
  2. Email your link to me at stacieponder at gmail dot com. Put 'film club' or some such in the subject line.
  3. Bask in the warm, glowing, warming glow of Film Club Day. Easy, breezy, et cetera et cetera.
In other news, it's Scare-ening night, so click and listen at 8pmPST. I mean, if you want to. No pressure or anything, geez.

7 comments:

Andreas said...

Well, this is an exciting preemptive start to 2011! And a great excuse to finally watch Cemetery Man - perhaps as a double feature?

All I know is I'm in FGFC withdrawal, and I need a fix, fast.

Maynard Morrissey said...

one of my favorite horror movies of all time, a masterpiece

Maynard Morrissey said...

btw I'm one of these 3 magical people :)

Mark Simmons said...

Maynard: Hey, me too! I think we have a special obligation to back up our votes with a Film Club contribution. :-)

Maynard Morrissey said...

@Mark: absolutely! :)

Pearce said...

I was disappointed with this one first time through, having loved Soavi's earlier film Stagefright and his later Dellamorte Dellamore. Hope I like it more this time.

Watch out for a blink-and-you'll-miss-it Baron Munchausen homage in The Church (Soavi directed second unit on Terry Gilliam's movie, and strikingly reused the Angel of Death prop in DD - Gilliam is as big an influence on him as his other mentors Joe D'Amato and Dario Argento).

StuartOhQueue said...

Oh, nice. I was looking for a place with some peaceful Sunday services, minimal singing, and the obligatory wheel of torture. That cloud guy up top looks like he's very attentive to his congregation.