FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Feb 19, 2010

awesome movie poster friday - the 2008 edition, part one!

You know, 2008 was a rather good year for horror. It really was. I'm sure that 20 years from now, I'll be blogging about it much the way that I currently write about 1977 and 1981. I'll try to convince all the kids born in 2012 (assuming the world doesn't end that year) that horror movies were really something back in aught eight. I'll start by linking to this post, highlighting just one of the quality films put out that year. Then I'll link to my October 2010 post about the remake, how maybe if it was simply another adaptation of the source novel that would be one thing, but remaking the movie was a bad idea, and how changing the title from Let the Right One In to Let Me In changes everything.

Or maybe I'll link to my October 2010 post about how I was reticent about remaking such a fine film so soon and how it was unnecessary and how the title swap changed everything, but then I was surprised at how much I loved the new version. Hey, it could happen. No fate!











13 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

I really really have to see this movie!!!!! I saw the book at the store recently & kinda wanted to see the movie first!! Great posters!!

Midnight Fright said...

That's quite the array of posters.

@Melanie- The novel is a wholly different experience than the film, although the movie sticks closely to the book...the book just made me feel all sorts of unclean the movie never did.

Jason Adams said...

I want to have so much consensual sexual intercourse with this movie.

(Also, I really love the 3rd and 4th posters. I hadn't seen them before.)

CashBailey said...

This was the best movie of the last decade.

Stacie Ponder said...

Better than Shark Attack 3: Megalodon?? HOW DARE YOU SIR.

Anonymous said...

Max clearly has no taste in fine cinema.

Verdant Earl said...

...but what we make.

(Just thought I would finish the "no fate" line)

Stacie Ponder said...

I wasn't being ironic...though you raise an interesting point. In an American remake, I'm not sure why they're not sticking with the title most English-natives are used to.

And I do think "Let the Right One In" is a better title in the context, although "Let Me In" might be a little more chilling.

BloodPepsi said...

Am I the only one who thinks posters 1 and 3 look like magazine print ads for Absolut?

-Ben

CashBailey said...

Ugh! LET ME IN sounds like a GOOSEBUMPS book.

Joel said...

Where is the Swedish poster?

Bill Walsh said...

Ok, let's see…

The French Morse poster has a blurb from Guillermo del Toro that says something like “The most haunting and poetic film possible.” (“Le film le plus poetique et obsédant qui soit.”)

And I’ll leave it up to you why they call it Morse—which means Walrus (or Morse Code).

Spanish Déjame entrar means Let Me In.

The next one is just the Norwegian equivalent (La den rette komme inn) of the Swedish Låt den rätte komma in.

The Chinese title is Xuè sè tóng huà (血色童話), which means—and I kid you not—Bloody Fairy.

The German poster uses the English title, obviously, but then gives it the subtitle “So finster die Nacht” or “So dark the night.” The blurbs are “The best European film of 2008” (Der Spiegel), “A vampire movie unlike any other” (Newsweek), and “Something completely new and unique.” (Die Welt)

Ασε το κακο να μπει means Let the Evil One In. The tag line says “A terrifying love story” (“Μια τρομακτικη ιστορια αγαπης”).

The second French Morse poster has the tag-line “Oscar loves Eli, Eli loves blood…”

The Russian Впусти меня literally just means Let Me.

And of course the Italian also says Let Me In (Lasciami entrare). Its tagline is “I kill because I must live.”

Really cool posters this week—and a whole variety of images.

Bill Walsh said...

And when at last it does
I'd say you were within your rights to bite
The right one and say, “What kept you so long?
“What kept you so long?”