FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Oct 17, 2009

on pizza, voting, and the undead

So, Round 1 of the Home Run Inn horror movie contest ends tomorrow, and a Top 10 spot doesn't seem to be in the cards, which means no Round 2 for ol' Final Girl and Company. That's fine, because that means I don't have to talk about it every day. Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who voted for my silly little movie. It was fun to make, although the pizza was not necessarily fun to eat: words I never thought I'd say.

I just wanted to raise the point that many people have gotten in touch with me about: the website's wonkiness, and the difficulty in voting 15 times per day, or sometimes voting at all. Check out these comments left on the HRI site, my Facebook page, etc:
  • "The site doesn't work very well at all. It's hard to share and I'm very uncertain that my vote counted."
  • "It doesn't allow me to vote for you more than once!"
  • "Only let me vote 8 times."
  • "I went there and it immediately told me 'Thanks, vote again tomorrow.'"
  • "Today, after only voting ONE time, I got the 'thank you for voting, please come back tomorrow.'"
  • "Today the link isn't going anywhere..."
  • "I've tried registering with three different emails. Two never even got the confirmation message you have to get before you can proceed (not in spam either). The third did, but when I tried to then set up a password (the next mandatory step), the site crashed. And now it won't let me complete that account set-up either."
Umm...I think the site is buggy. I have no problem losing this contest or any other for whatever reason, but the site needs to work so people can vote so I have a fair shot. I entered a couple of weeks after it began, so I know I had a lot of ground to make up and thanks to you, I did. Still, as someone pointed out elsewhere, I wonder how I can be so far ahead in terms of votes- I'm ranked number one with about 27,000 views while the entry ranked number two- the leader in terms of votes- has less than half that. I'm a girl so I don't really get math, but I have to say, that doesn't really compute with me. Their site sucks.

I called the tech support number a few times to try to say as much- it's the only way to get in touch with them- and it just rang. Even their tech support sucks! For the record, this isn't sour grapes, believe me. Just noting the site's wonkiness, and that I tried to tell them.

Well, at least I made a 2-minute zombie movie about pizza with my friends, because creativity is never a waste. And at least many of you awesome peeps clicked away as often as you could. For all of you who are commenting about Mr. Zombie and how adorable and fantastic he is...you're right, he is! His name is Pete Loughran and he's a killer musician working on a new CD; I've gotten a sneak listen and it's gonna rock your face off. Give him some love!

5 comments:

Theron said...

I'm having trouble with the site. It won't let me vote. Do I smell a conspiracy? Or is that their pizza? Whatever it is, it's unpleasant.

XanxiuZ said...

I made a couple of attempts to vote, but no love. You are right, that sight is wonky.

Your movie was waay cool. Coolest part was the zombie dude had on some really tight jeans. Personally, I don't think zombies should be allowed to wear jeans that tight. Just sayin'.

Max the drunken severed head said...

I have voted AND blogged about your video.

Hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

Who knew there would be problems with the contest this year?! Last year the prize was awarded to someone related to a Home Run Inn executive. The video they turned in broke more than half the rules. Never will I eat their smelly pizza again!!

Stacie Ponder said...

You're frakking kidding me! I shouldn't be surprised. They took down all the videos several hours before the contest actually ended, so everyone missed out on plenty of votes. What a joke! They SUCK!