FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jul 13, 2009

it's that time again...

Yes, it's time for another round of pure "eye-popping action and electrifying thrills" (Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazines) that will "leave your head spinning" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone) with me, just a gal who's "funny, strong, gorgeous – and ultimately a woman of power and dignity" (Pete Hammond, Maxim)- it's Film Club Choosening Day! Here's what else the critics are saying about today:

“A full-throttle thrill ride.” – Chloe Houser, KPOX-TV
"An intense…riveting…adventure." – Steve Oldfield, FOX-TV
"...nothing less than a national treasure.” - Roger Moore, Orlando Sentinel

As you can see, you're in for quite a treat. But enough with the suspense! Let's get to it. The next Film Club movie is...dun dun dunnnnn...

The Devil's Rain

Yes, my pretties, this FGFC go-round promises to be positively Satantastic. You may remember The Devil's Rain from that time I talked about buying it and I nerdishly pointed out the grammatical errors of the tagline. Or not. Mayhaps this is the first time you're hearing about this beaut from 1975 and you're all meehhh. Well, if that's the case, I've got a whopping 30 words for you to get you excited for this "delight for the eye, thrill for the spine, laugh for the belly, message for the heart, bonbon for children and captivating pleasure for adults!" (Gene Shalit, The Today Show):

Ernest Borgnine Tom Skerritt Ida Lupino John Travolta William Shatner Anton LaVey Eddie Albert Keenan Wynn and did I mention Ernest Borgnine with goat horns because it's totally in there

WOW. That's apparently the DVD menu, something I will miss out on as I will finally be watching my VHS copy. Those of you interested in the more technologically advanced version can find it on Netflix here.

Now, I realize that the due date is a bit far off and I apologize as we're all now dying to dig into The Devil's Rain. Thing is, I've got Ludlow to finish between now and then, and frankly a goat-horned Borgnine deserves my complete attention. Besides, it gives you whores time to pass around that Netflix copy like it's the Clap...I mean, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that this film is one the entire world needs to see. The critics agree!

"You will love this movie! " - Sandy Kenyon, WABC-TV
"It will suck you in and rock you to the core. Killer movie!" - Kevin Steincross, KTVI-TV

That last quote is actually about Twilight, just so you know.

The film: The Devil's Rain
The due date: Monday, September 7

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DDWhkRtLK0

Freya said...

Hey Stacie, I love your blog and I really want to see your take on the Saw series! Please review Saw!

rob! said...

Interesting: when I add The Devil's Rain to my queue, Netflix also recommends Planet of the Apes(sure),The Omega Man(okay),Urban Cowboy(huh?),and the ballet drama The Turning Point. WTF??

Anonymous said...

Love the attention to grammar, Stace. Also, John Travolta???? Seriously??? I will probably not watch this movie as it will likely scare my wimpy self, but could you please post a still shot of JT in this film?

-Steph

Richard Doyle said...

Amazing timing ... I just added this to my Cinemail queue yesterday (Cinemail is the Canadian Netflix).

goblin said...

Stacie, you should definitely do a review of 'Twilight' someday (or maybe even choose it for a future Film Club). I'd just love to read your thoughts on vampires that sparkle in daylight! :)

Thomas Pluck said...

"A bunch of Satanists in the American rural landscape have terrible powers which enable them to melt their victims..."

So, so there.

Nathan said...

I am very pleased to say that I have helped spread the word about this film. I was a founder/executive board member of a Satanic student organization (recognized by the institution and recieving student activity funds, no less) at the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh and we held a public screening of the film and donated a copy to the school library. I'm glad you're continuing to draw attention to this little gem.

Craig Blamer said...

Isn't putting that makeup on Ernie sorta redundant?

MaryKate said...

I'm so excited my face could melt.

Zombie Cupcake said...

Piss, I'm not sure I can get this one. I know, I know I say this every time... I will try my bestest, it sounds amazing!

Dave Enkosky said...

Wow, what a great choice! I actually reviewed this flick some months back http://daveenkosky.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Devil%27s%20Rain

Thomas Pluck said...

I kinda jumped the gun on this one, couldn't help it...

the Devil's Rain

Matt Gamble said...

Does it still count if I reviewed the film 12 months ago?

http://wherethelongtailends.com/archives/the-devils-rain

Frank White said...

I also jumped the gun. Probably the only time I've spaced on a date in the wrong direction.

http://www.videoupdates.net/2009/08/devils-rain-1975.html

Hallospaceboy said...

Her goes my post for this. Is this the way to submit them, in the comments? I'm new here...:-)

http://technoirmovies.blogspot.com/2009/08/no-country-for-old-demons.html

Jordy Verrill + Eva Krupp said...

We almost didn't make it...

http://orchestratedhorror.blogspot.com/2009/09/devils-rain-final-girl-film-club-review.html