FINAL GIRL explores the slasher flicks of the '70s and '80s...and all the other horror movies I feel like talking about, too. This is life on the EDGE, so beware yon spoilers!

Jul 26, 2006

Pyramid Head comes home!

Alright, so the film version of Silent Hill was by and large style over substance. But what style! What panache! What grossosity! I liked it, I tells ya, and I just can't wait for the DVD release so I can watch it again. Lucky for me, I don't have long to wait- the DVD will hit shelves on August 22. From the scant info I've read, there will be documentary upon documentary upon makings-of...but no word (that I can find) on deleted scenes.

Now I will try to leap light-years forward and post a video here...one of my favorite cutscenes from the first Silent Hill game. The character made it to the big screen; the awesomeness, sadly, did not. Bask in the grody CGI goodness, my people. Will this work? Am I technologically advanced enough to post video? Let's see...



I feel so fucking cyber!

6 comments:

John Barleycorn said...

Those are PS1 graphics? Nice. I played the original on a demo disc for about 15 minutes. Then I became frustrated. End of story.

Stacie Ponder said...

Yeah, it's an in-game cutscene...all the 'movies' are pretty damn decent. The gameplay graphics, not so much- it IS PSOne, after all. If you can deal with that, the game is good, but I'd head right to SH2 honestly.

And you have to be prepared to wander around in the games...but it all adds to the atmosphere so it's great. Not like some RPGs where I travel from town to town, clueless, totally stuck and having no idea what I'm supposed to do next. I hate that.

Anonymous said...

You know what I'd like? For the filmmakers to treat the game as if it were a novel, which really good games are, in a way, and adapt the story of the game instead of trying to create something "new" that looks kind of like the game.

Carnacki said...

chadwick h. saxelid,
Indeed. Many of the best games now have that feel. I imagine Hollywood sees itself above such adaptions, but the writing on many games is worthy of the treatment.

John Barleycorn said...

I disagree only in that good novels don't have lengthy "level-building" or "item collecting." The stories can be good -- the games themselves, however, cannot be compared to good novels. Long-winded sci-fi novels, perhaps.

warrenzone said...

You posted a youtube video and it did not knock your sidebar to the bottom of the page like 100% of bloggers have done before. amazing!

you are so fucking cyber!